After Sixth Form
Considering Options after Sixth Form
We have a Pastoral Programme aimed at helping our students to consider their options after Sixth Form. For the majority of our students, we expect their focus to be on UCAS. We appreciate that some students will be considering applying for apprenticeships or jobs.
Helping our students to decide on which path to take when they leave here is one of the key areas we focus on in our PSE sessions.
A high proportion of our students go onto university. University places are gained at top UK universities including, Birmingham, Exeter, Manchester, Oxford and Warwick.
Deciding on what to study let alone where to study can at first seem a daunting prospect for students. We help them to make their choices through a series of events which include the following:
- An Introduction to UCAS evening: for both parents and students
- UCAS workshops in PSE
- Tutor support with the UCAS online application system www.ucas.com
- Opportunity to Birmingham University Open Day
- Dispensations for visiting universities on open days
- Outside speakers from Student Finance and local universities
- Early support for students who wish to apply to Oxbridge or for Medicine or Dentistry
- Organisation of Headstart course for future engineers
- Masterclasses at local universities in specific subject areas, such as midwifery, acting, chemistry
Students who choose not to go into Further Education are also supported in decisions about their future. We have a dedicated noticeboard for apprenticeship vacancies and the latest opportunities are also advertised around the Sixth Form block and in daily tutor time.
Students can also make appointments to see the Connexions officer for guidance if they are considering employment.
We actively encourage all of our students to obtain work experience as this can often be essential for university or employment.
Advice can also be gained from both the Head of Sixth Form and Mrs Shirley Davis.
We love to hear back from our students to find out how they are getting on.
Scholarships for University
A new informational video about Scholarships for University is now available to view on YouTube here. There is information about alternative funding that might be available for university.
The Scholarship Hub is now a social enterprise and you can get more information by visiting their website.
Post Sixth Form Applications Help
- Guide to Personal Statements
- UCAS: The Easy Start Presentation (PDF)
- Oxbridge entry criteria toughened up
Visit the Apprenticeship Search page for information about vacancies.